Lost and Found Policy
Date of Last Review: March 18, 2022
While the Evans Library will help its patrons with lost items, the Library is not responsible for the security of personal items brought into the building. Patrons are expected to keep their belongings, especially valuables, within their sight at all times.
The Library cannot guarantee the item you lost will be found. However, the Library would like to provide a convenient mechanism for returning lost items to their owners when found.
All unclaimed property at the end of the semester will be turned over to one of several charitable organizations, utilized by the Library, or discarded.
Procedure for Found Items
- Library iDesk staff are solely responsible for handling lost and found items.
- Valuable items such as wallets, purses, passports, cash, checks, credit cards, electronics, or other items valued at $50.00 or more, will be logged and stored in a secure location in the Library until turned over to Security.
- University property, weapons, prescription drugs, and controlled substances will be immediately turned over to Florida Tech Security.
- Florida Tech IDs will be held at the Library for two business days and then turned over to Security.
- Passports that belong to Florida Tech students will be kept at the library until claimed. Other university offices will be informed that a student's passport was found.
- US Passports that do not belong to university members (students, faculty and staff) will be held for one week. After this time they will be sent to:
U.S. Department of State
CA/PPT/S/L/LE, 4th Floor
- Foreign Passports that do not belong to university members will be sent to the Embassy of that specific country.
Claims Procedures of Found Items
- iDesk staff will fill out information about the lost item in the Lost & Found Log.
- If the owner can be identified, an email will be sent to the owner letting them know the item was found and is being held at the Evans Library.
- If keys are found, notify Florida Tech Security immediately and keep them at the iDesk until Security picks them up.
- All Lost & Found items will be secured behind the iDesk.
- Claimants may claim property during library business hours.
- A person claiming an item must be able to describe it accurately. The claimant is required to produce ID and contact information, and sign the original Lost & Found notebook to indicate they have claimed the lost item(s).
Contact the Library iDesk to inquire about lost and found at (321)-674-8086.
If you believe you have had items stolen in the library, please contact Florida Tech Security at (321)-674-8112.