Date of Last Review: March 18, 2022
Florida Institute of Technology’s Evans Library ("the Library", "we", "us", "our") respects your privacy. We have developed this privacy statement to inform you of what information we collect, how we use, protect, and release it, and how you are entitled to access it. Evans Library is committed to the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights.
We do use personal information that you supply in online forms, email, and other requests for information and services to respond to your requests. This may involve redirecting your inquiry or comment to another person or department better suited to meeting your needs.
Information that the Evans Library may gather and retain about current and valid library users includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Circulation Information: Patron records contain patrons’ names, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses supplied to us by the Registrar. Evans Library maintains records of circulation transactions until the borrowed item is returned to the Library or outstanding fines are paid only. The Library does not maintain patron histories of previously borrowed items or paid fines.
- Collection Development: This includes information regarding the request, purchase, transfer, and related collection management requests linked to individual users or groups of users (e.g., academic units). The collection request is not maintained after it is added to the collection.
- Computer Workstation Usage: Patrons using computers in Evans Library must follow the Florida Institute of Technology Acceptable Use Policy for Campus Information Technology Services (IT-1001). Event logs are saved on individual computers. Login information is gathered and stored by a campus system.
- Interlibrary Loan & Document Delivery: This includes all information that identifies a user as requesting specific materials. Only authorized staff and the requestor of the materials have access to this information.
- Library Surveys/Assessment Projects: This includes any information or data obtained through surveys (group or individual interviews or other means) in support of the assessment of services, collections, facilities, resources, etc., or in support of research related to library and information services. As appropriate, any data collected in the course of research is subject to additional review of privacy and confidentiality protections as stated in the Florida Institute of Technology’s Office of Research’s Institutional Review Board – Human Subjects.
- Reference/Research Consultations: When contacted by a patron for reference or research assistance, we occasionally ask patrons for their name and/or contact information at the point of contact. We only use this information to respond to the patron as effectively and efficiently as possible or follow up as needed. We do not retain name and contact information for any other purpose.
- Rare Books, Special Collections, and Archives: Patron information, such as name, contact information, status, institutional affiliation and research interests/purpose is generally requested for all inquiries and limited to University Archives staff.
- User Registration Information: Patrons eligible for print borrowing privileges provide information such as name, physical and email address, telephone number, and ID numbers to access library materials.
- Other Information Required to Provide Library Services: This includes any identifying information obtained to provide Library services not previously listed.
Data Integrity and Security
The data we collect and maintain at the Library must be accurate and secure. Although no method can guarantee the complete security of data, we take steps to protect the privacy and accuracy of user data. The Evans Library is committed to investing in appropriate technology to protect the security of personally identifiable information while it is in the Library's custody. We also pledge to work with third-party information service suppliers who have similar respect for protecting personally identifiable information.
We permit only authorized Library staff to access personal data stored in the Library's computer system for the purpose of performing library work. Evans Library will not disclose any personal data collected from users to any other party except where required by law, to report a suspected violation of law or university policy, or to fulfill an individual user's service request. We do not sell or lease users' personal information to commercial enterprises, organizations or individuals.
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- State of Florida’s Library Registration and Circulation Records Statute (Title XVIII Chapter 257.261)
- United States Department of Justice’s USA PATRIOT Act
If you have questions regarding this policy, please contact the Dean of Libraries.