Evans Library

Archives Closed

The Archives are currently closed due to a staffing transition, and we are unable to assist with research requests or accept donations at this time. 

University Records Transfer

What does the university archives do?

The Harry P. Weber University Archives documents the essential functions and history of the Florida Institute of Technology and its impact on the community by collecting, preserving, and making available records of intrinsic value created by the university and its members including: departments and offices of the university; faculty, staff, and alumni of the university; and other affiliated entities or people as deemed appropriate.

Why should I transfer my records?

We are committed to preserving the history of the university. The records you hold may contain evidential, informational, or enduring value to the university archives even when they are no longer useful to the creating department. Transferring non-current records also saves your department space and money, and can help tell the story of your department’s history.

What does the University Archives collect?

The Harry P. Weber University Archives serves as the university’s repository for non-current records of enduring value such as:

  • Items documenting university beginnings, growth, and challenges
  • Items documenting key decisions affecting the future of the university
  • Items documenting the activities, history, and culture of the university
  • Key functions of the university and its operation

What kind of materials are found in the Archives?

  • Architectural records, maps
  • Founding documents: articles of incorporation, charters, bylaws
  • Newspaper clippings, press releases
  • Correspondence, speeches, manuscripts
  • Directories, catalogs, reports
  • Handbooks, manuals
  • Memoranda, minutes of meetings
  • Membership lists, rosters
  • Motion picture, audio recordings
  • University and student publications
  • Ephemera, memorabilia
  • Photographs, scrapbooks
  • Websites, blogs, social media content

Is there anything the university archives will NOT collect?

Medical information, employee evaluations, student grades, and other personally identifiable information as well as restricted information as described in FERPA and other applicable laws. If there are records that contain this information that should be transferred, please consult with the University Archivist.

I manage the records for my department. How often should I transfer my files?

We will be happy to consult with your department to establish a records schedule that fits your needs and the types of records you hold.

What formats are acceptable for transfer?

All physical formats are acceptable for transfer, however if you think your records may contain hazardous substances such as mold, please contact us prior to transfer. Uncompressed formats are preferred for digital files, but the following digital formats are all accepted:

  • PDF (preferred)
  • JPEG
  • TIFF (preferred)
  • PNG
  • Motion JPEG2000 (preferred)
  • WAV (preferred)
  • Mp3
  • Mp4 (h.264)
  • Microsoft Office files: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
  • Txt files
  • .html and .xml files

How do I transfer digital files?

The university archives prefers to accept digital files via a temporary shared location so you can copy your files easily. Contact the University Archivist for details. The university archives also accepts digital files via email, Dropbox, and removable media. Please complete the Records Transmittal Form and send it along with your records.

I have something I think should go to the university archives, but I still need to use it. When do I send it? Can I send a copy?

If there are active records that belong in the university archives, we can arrange for a copy to be placed in the university archives until such time as the original can be transferred. In many cases, a copy will be sufficient, or the archives might wait to accept the original when it becomes inactive. Consult the University Archivist regarding how active files should be transferred, and under what conditions.

I have too many records to go through and pull out the ones that should go to the university archives. What do I do?

We are happy to work with departments wishing to transfer their records and can come help sort through your files to select items for the university archives and provide guidelines for future transfers.

What do I do about personal information like SSN or student grades?

The Harry P. Weber University Archives complies with FERPA/privacy laws. We will not provide personal information to users. Records with personal information may be closed to researchers or redacted for access. When possible, please pull out items with personal information prior to transferring to the university archives.

I have records that have enduring value, but I do not want to send them to the university archives. How can I preserve them?

We will be happy to consult and provide information and assistance to any departments that would like to improve their records management and the preservation of their records.

Are there specific items the university archives needs, or is missing?

Yes! Please contact us at

Edit Page