Florida Tech Special Collections and the Harry P. Weber University Archives

Frequently Asked Questions for Departments Seeking to Transfer Records to the Harry P. Weber University Archives


What does the university archives do?

The Harry P. Weber University Archives documents the essential functions and history of the Florida Institute of Technology and its impact on the community by collecting, preserving, and making available records of intrinsic value created by the university and its members including: departments and offices of the university; faculty, staff, and alumni of the university; and other affiliated entities or people as deemed appropriate.


What the HPWUA collects:

The Archives serves as the university’s repository for non-current records of enduring value. The Harry P. Weber University Archives support research, access, and preservation of its collections. The archives collects the following:

  • Items documenting university beginnings, growth, and challenges
  • Items documenting key decisions affecting the future of the university
  • Items documenting the activities, history, and culture of the university
  • Key functions of the university and its operation


Examples of materials found in archives:

• Architectural records, maps
• Founding documents: articles of incorporation, charters, bylaws
• Newspaper clippings, press releases
• Correspondence, speeches, manuscripts
• Directories, catalogs, reports
• Handbooks, manuals
• Memoranda, minutes of meetings
• Membership lists, rosters
• Motion picture, audio recordings
• Publications
• Ephemera, memorabilia
• Photographs, scrapbooks
• Websites, blogs, social media content


What the HPWUA does NOT collect:

Medical information, employee evaluations, student grades, and other personally identifiable information as described in FERPA and IDEA. If there are records that contain this information that meet HPWUA criteria, please consult with the university archivist.


I manage the records for my department. How often should I transfer my files?

The HPWUA will be happy to consult with your department to establish a records schedule that fits your needs and the types of records you hold.


What formats are acceptable for transfer?

All physical formats are acceptable. Uncompressed formats are preferred for digital files, but the following formats are all accepted:

  • PDF (preferred)
  • JPEG
  • TIFF (preferred)
  • PNG
  • Motion JPEG2000 (preferred)
  • WAV (preferred)
  • Mp3
  • Mp4 (h.264)
  • Microsoft Office files: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
  • Txt files
  • .html and .xml files


How do I transfer digital files?

The HPWUA prefers to accept digital files via a temporary shared location so you can copy your files easily. Contact the university archivist for details. The HPWUA also accepts digital files via email, Dropbox, removable media, and FIT cloud transfer.


I have something I think should go to the university archives, but I still need to use it. When do I send it? Can I send a copy?

If there are active records that belong in the university archives, we will arrange for a copy to be placed in the HPWUA until such time as the original can be transferred. In many cases, a copy will be sufficient, or the archives might wait to accept the original when it becomes inactive. Consult the university archivist regarding how frequently active files should be transferred, and under what conditions.


I have too many records to go through and pull out the ones that should go to the university archives. What do I do?

We are happy to work with departments wishing to transfer their files. HPWUA can come and sort through your files to select items for the archives and provide guidelines for future transfers.


What do I do about personal information like SSN or student grades?

The university archives complies with FERPA/privacy laws. We will not provide personal information to users. Records with personal information may be closed to researchers or redacted for access. See also “What HPWUA does NOT collect” for more details on materials that your department should not send to the HPWUA.


I have records that have enduring value, but I do not want to send them to the HPWUA. How can I preserve them?

We will be happy to consult and provide information and assistance to any departments that would like to improve their records management and the preservation of their records.